Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Doppleganger & Flesh Golem

Two new classic D&D monsters were added to my monster stable tonight, a Doppleganger, and a Flesh Golem.

I wanted to do a Doppleganger obviously in its "unchanged" form, and there are a lot of takes on this, but I wanted mine to look pretty alien.  So I made his arms longer than they should be and gave him sort of hook-like hands.
Very basic paint job, not fun to paint at all.  I couldn't decide between really wrinkly skin, or totally flat, plastic-like skin.  Given the scale and my painting style, I opted for the flat looking skin.  Either one I think you could see being how this creature's skin would be, with the wrinkled skin indicating that "anything is possible" in terms of the shape it takes, or the flat skin indicating more that the creature is naturally a "blank slate" and anything is possible in terms of the shape it takes.  I'll likely never use this monster in a game, I just wanted to have it in my collection.  I went with dark blue skin instead of gray just because I have so many gray monsters already, I wanted something different.

And now, the Flesh Golem ...
Construction wise, he's just one of my few remaining elongated medium sized eggs (same as I used for the Bugbears), axle cap head, split eggs upper arms, and split spool lower arms (actually the manacles that were used to restrain him until he broke free!), with tile spacers cut in fist shapes and glued on as his hands.  He was an absolute delight to paint.  I used my normal medium and light flesh tones, but added in some gray to make him look more "dead."  The scars were easy, just a redish brown line with a light tan color for the stitches.  I really like the way he turned out.


1 comment:

  1. The flesh golem turned out great! He looks like he would be fun to paint. As for the doppleganger, you are right. How do you paint something that can look like practically anything. It looks good as an alien creature.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Followers

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Labels I Use in Posts