Monday, January 15, 2018

Norman Archer Unit!

Finished 3 more stands of Norman archers yesterday, completing the four-stand unit.  Here they are skirmishing from the wood line.
Again, I tried to make them look at least a little "un-uniform" with some with helmets (one with a leather helmet!), some bare headed, some with hoods, some with mail armor, some with leather armor, etc.  Evidently there was a cap that was popular (the guy with the orange head wear) that I just made with a strip of paper in a circle around the head and a small bead split in half.  I think he looks a little "Baltic Sea area" in appearance, but that's okay with me.

Here are a couple of close ups of all the stands.
And finally here is a shot of a 2 x 2 stand configuration which would be used in many rule sets, including Neil Thomas's Ancient and Medieval Warfare rules.
With simpler figures like these, they always look better to me en-mass than individually.

Next up, three more stands of Norman infantry to complete that unit!


2 comments:

  1. They are really rocking. As it happens, I have some 42mm Anglo-Danish that I have been working on for more than two years. I finally put the arms on them. I like the paper hoods. I will have to think about that and give it a try. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can’t wait to see those 42mm Danes! My only suggestion if you decide to do the hoods is that at that larger scale, you may have to do three layers of paper to produce enough volume for it to look right. And although I do dry fit the paper to make sure it roughly fits, the process once you put the glue on the paper and saturate it is more akin to paper mache and sculpting. I even alter it once it is in place, for example lifting a little in one place, tacking down another part to create a fold, etc. I usually use a tool of some kind at that point though because my fingers are too big for that sort of fine work. It makes each one unique though which I think is cool.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Followers

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Labels I Use in Posts